Friday, August 14, 2009

And she's off!

**This was obviously written 6 months ago! I never posted it because I was waiting to upload the photo...and then time just got away from me. Yikes! Anyways, as I attempt to be better about posting on the blog, I just had to start with this. It was fun to read this now that kindergarten seems so routine. We have transitioned...although Ellie still misses her sissy throughout the day...and her mom does too.**

Another major milestone today...Molly's first day of kindergarten. It was a big day for all of us, but especially for Molly and Mommy! A friend of mine said that I should commit this day to memory. As much as I would like to think that will happen naturally, I know in just a few years I will be confusing Molly's kindergarten teacher with Charlie's and telling stories about Ellie that are actually about Molly. So here are a few things I would like to remember about today...

Molly's outfit--While I had envisioned a cute little dress for the first day of kindergarten, Molly was convinced that she wanted to wear her Countryside Elementary t-shirt. I was thinking about telling her how most of the other girls would probably be in dresses as I didn't want her to feel out of place. But I'm glad that I stopped myself. If she isn't going to be concerned about comparing herself to others, than why should I encourage that?! I smiled as Molly walked confidently into class in her oversized t-shirt.

This conversation...

Molly: I think I look beautiful today.

Me: Well of course, I think you look beautiful too.

Molly: Do you know what I think makes me the most beautiful?

Me: What?

Molly: That my teeth are missing in my smile.

The walk to school...Molly and I holding hands. Ellie, Charlie and my mom following us to the corner. Molly waving as we turned the corner and head for school, and Ellie waving as she watched her sissy walk all the way down the street.

The choked up feeling I got as we walked into the school...here we go!

Feeling fine by the time we got to her room. She confidently found her locker for her backpack and then found her seat. She sat down, let me take her picture, and she was fine...just fine. No tears...only smiles. But then, I still had to hang around just for a few minutes to take it all in...she didn't need me to...but I needed to.

Looking around the room at all those kids as they sat so quietly at their desks waiting for this all to begin. They had such wide eyes as they just looked around the room so quietly. I can't wait to compare the atmosphere a little later in the year when they are all comfortable!

Coming home...the house was so quiet. Charlie was napping and Ellie and I were just trying to figure out what this is going to be like now. Later in the day I watched Ellie interact more with Charlie than normal (because she didn't have anyone to compete with!). I think they are going to be good friends as he grows older. I found myself glancing at the clock several times throughout the day...it was a long time for her to be gone...and I missed her. (Remember we are in all day kindergarten here, 8:15-3:40!) It is funny how just a few days before I had been ready for some alone time and quiet and now I was already ready for the house to be loud again.

2:00...Ellie says, "when is sissy going to ever be done at school?" It is going to be a transition.

The end of the day...Eric walked to school to pick up Molly. Ellie, Charlie and I waited in the front yard. As we saw Eric and Molly round the corner, Molly and Ellie spotted each other and both took off running. Ellie yelled, "SISSY!" Molly shouted, "ELLIE!" They met halfway up the block and just hugged each other. Mid-hug, Molly told her sister, "I'm just so glad to see you." Molly was so excited to tell us all about it, but she was tired too. She said it was so much fun and she loved it.

So, we are off on the next adventure...what a transition...but a good one.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! (I write this through
blurry eyes : >) Love, Mom

caramac said...

I LOVE the play by play. endearing.

~mj~ said...

Wow! It's been a very long time since I've had a child going to kindergarten, but I'll be there again very soon. This was a beautiful depiction of her first day ~ brought a tear to my eyes. She's gorgeous, inside and out. :)

Becky said...

Your far-away family very much appreciates these little glimpses into the every day life that they can't be a part of. I love that you were able to let Molly wear what she felt comfortable in-Way to go Mom! And I love that she feels most beautiful with her front teeth missing in her smile. We can also identify with your feelings of uncertainty and restlessness and needing to choose to seek the place of peace. much love, becky