Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day brings a new hobby?





While I was getting ready on Sunday morning, I overheard Eric telling the girls that it was Mother's Day which meant we were all going to be extra nice to Mommy (no fussing, whining, fighting, etc). He reminded them that the day was all about me and thanking me for being such a good mom. Very nice words to hear...wonderful to know that at least Eric (even if the girls don't really get it) appreciates all I do to take care of the girls and our home.

It is interesting because Mother's Day really isn't a huge deal to me...on the other hand, I expect to be the queen on my birthday! But, I decided that maybe it was okay to have TWO days in the year that are all about me : ) (and of course appreciating my mom!!)

We all got ready on time (with really very little stress) to go out to a nice breakfast before church. After church we came home for naps, and even I got to take a nice long nap. Then, we all headed to the store to pick out some tomato, zucchini, and pepper plants for the garden that I hope to plant in the next week or so. This brings me to my new hobby...

I have decided that it would be very fun to grow some of our own veggies. This is something that I've talked about for a couple of years, but I'm finally taking some baby steps to make it happen. My mom has grown veggies for a long time, so I'm using her help and expertise to get started. I've realized that is the hardest part for me...just getting started. It seems a bit overwhelming. But, the plants are now purchased, so I'm a little more committed. I'm wishing that I had really tried to learn something when I was required to take botany as part of my biology degree. I simply got through the class, so I could get on to the interesting classes such as cell biology.

The other exciting thing about this is that I could potentially (if I enjoy this and don't kill my plants!) have another hobby to add to my list. It seems that whenever we fill out any questionnaire, Eric could fill up two pages with just his interests and hobbies (especially if he had more time in his life!). I, on the other hand, am always trying to come up with more than a couple. I enjoy life and think I have several interests...I just can't ever pinpoint exactly what I enjoy doing! Anyways, we'll check back in a couple of months and see what progress my little plants have made : )

1 comment:

Jaron said...

Awesome, Ky! I am loving our garden though Jaron is really doing most of the work. :)