Wednesday, April 4, 2007

First trip to the dentist!

Molly made her first trip to the dentist today. It was a big success although I was a little nervous about how she would do based on conversations we've had all week leading up to the visit. When I told her about her dentist appointment (thinking she'd be excited since she enjoyed watching daddy at the dentist a couple of months ago), she promptly told me that she did not want to go and would not go. Hmmm... A couple of days later we discussed it again. She wondered why she needed to go. I told her all about keeping her teeth healthy and that the dentist wanted to be sure she didn't have cavities. She told me that she felt she could brush her teeth just fine at home and didn't need the dentist to do it for her. Good point, I suppose...especially since she brushes her teeth about 4 times each day. We are thinking it may need to be a new punishment..."If you do that, you won't be able to brush your teeth!"

Then yesterday, as I was trying to pump her up for the appointment, she says, "Well, I guess I'll go, but he won't use a screwdriver on my teeth, will he?" No, no screwdriver. I do have to say that I blame all the apprehension on the Berenstain Bears book and movie about going to the dentist. Molly had no fear of the dentist until we read this book and she watched the movie. When Sister and Brother Bear had fear of the dentist (even though it turned out okay of course), Molly suddenly realized she should be a afraid too...bad move on my part. Live and learn I guess.

Anyways, the appointment was great...no fussing, no cavities...a very happy experience. Of course, I think the best part for Molly was the new Cinderella tooth brush and sunglasses which you can see in the last picture. (Oh, I forgot to mention that Molly's baby, "Special Baby", had her two teeth cleaned too...that helped ease some anxiety!)



2 comments:

james said...

"If you do that, you won't be able to brush your teeth!"

Awesome. And how could this, once again, not remind me of camp.

The often joked about rule which subsequently followed a step five infraction -> no Decision Night.

Counselor: Sorry Bobby, you're already on Step 5. No Decision Night for you.

Bobby: But...I wanted to accept Christ!?

Counselor: Well that's just too bad! You should have thought of that before tearing off down the pool trail without your shoes.

Kristin said...

I can't write a decent post right now, because I'm laughing too hard!!
I forgot all about the step system.

No berenstein bear books for my kids. thanks for the parenting tip Kylene!