Sunday, February 15, 2009

One of those rare and magical moments...

This is Eric posting what I believe is my 2nd blog post ever, but I just had to capture this moment before it gets lost in the bustle of everyday life.  It was a little after 10 pm and Kylene had fed Charlie, but he wouldn't go to sleep.  So she handed him off to me for a little father/son time and she headed off to bed.  I've got him in my arms and he's fighting with all he's worth to keep his eyes open, but they're....just....too.....heavy.  Even after they are closed, he would try to open them every few seconds but could only muster raised eyebrows and the tiniest slit of an opening before giving up and letting them close altogether again.  It was really pretty funny to watch as we walked back and forth across the living room.  

And then it happened.  Charlie was in that strange and wonderful place that is halfway between wakefulness and sleep.  I was looking down at his little face and he smiled, really big, showing off the dimples that we desperately hope will stay with him.  It was brief and then it was gone.  Those smiles are rare, so I considered myself lucky.  But then it came back - even bigger!  His little mouth opened a little, curled up at the corners...and he started laughing!  How can I describe the sound of pure, innocent joy?  It was several little squeaks, little "ee" sounds on the intake of his breath, all right in a row, all with the huge open-mouthed smile on his face, his eyes scrunched up in his mirth. 

Wow.

I could endure a thousand sleepless nights for the immeasurable wonder of that moment.  This...this is what it is to be a father, to look gaze upon this little, dependent being that is a part of me, and to know total, complete, overflowing love. 

May this be the first of many, many laughs that we share, Charlie my boy.

7 comments:

Ryan said...

Awesome. Good to see you posting, Eric. Can't wait for our Charlie to laugh.

fanaticnascarweathermom said...

Maybe its the hormones...but I just got misty-eyed! :) Precious!

Rebecca said...

WOW! Thanks for letting us share that priceless moment. It really shrinks the miles that seperate us to see and hear what's happening with all of you. Many thanks to you and Kylene for keeping us updated in the midst of your busy lives. love, Mom

Larry & Becky said...

There just ain't nothin' like being a dad (unless it's being a granddad). Thanks for sharing, Eric - I remember when...

queen said...

You're a poet. This is lovely.

Horns! said...

That is awesome.

A said...

You've always had such a gift with words. How lovely and well said. And what a cutie little boy!

Amy (Micro)